Parenting Children (6-12) Community
9 year old is having daily nightmares

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

9 year old is having daily nightmares

For the past six months or more my 9 year old daughter has been waking up around 2 am complaining of nightmares.  She then can't go back to sleep, and has started sleeping in a sleeping bag on our bedroom floor because it is hidden from the doors and she feels secure with us there. Last night she was saying things like I wish the world wasn't so scary with bad people." " I keep hearing scary sounds."  " Robbers come in the night time."  She also said that her nightmares seem to be getting worse.

We have tried teaching her how she can change her dreams, & how to replace scary thoughts with calm & happy thoughts.  We have done a behavior chart to try and break the habit; we have identified the spooky sounds, and we have reassured her that we live in a very safe community.     What else should I do?  Should she see a counselor?
You certainly see a counsellor ,is it possible she is doing this to get more attention, and make sure she isnt watching on TV PC at any friends house you may have control on what she sees at your house but not at others ,also sometimes they overhear scary conversations from adults and dont always understand , be aware if she goes to play or does sleepovers.Allowing her into your room to sleep is okay if you and your husband dont mind but it is setting up a habit that will be harder to break.