Parenting Children (6-12) Community
9 yr old won't sleep...scary comments
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

9 yr old won't sleep...scary comments

I have a 9 yr old daughter who is VERY bright.  We had sleep issues years ago when I finally got her out of my bed but haven't had a problem until about 6 weeks ago.  "i can't sleep", "my stomach hurts", "i have a headache"...i constantly hear these things, she's hot, she's cold, turn the ceiling fan off/on/up/down, radio on/off etc....If I ignore her, she stands outside my door and keeps going..she is SO persistent.  I have tried rewards, taking away privilidges...I got her a diary & a 'happy thoughts journal' that we do together at bedtime in hopes reflecting on the happy things from that day would calm  her or distract her.  NO luck.  I am exhausted from getting no sleep and my patience is wearing thin.  She has problems when she's at her father's as well so it's not just here at home.  I get the I hate you, you're ugly, the meanest mom ever etc etc. but last night, after doing everything she had asked with still no luck she said 'can you just kill me, i don't want to be alive'...This freaked my out big time and since my fiance was working overnight, I let her sleep in bed with me because I was nervous.  I wonder if it was just a comment and in the end she got what she wanted or if I should really worry.  She told me today that she didn't mean it she just said it because she was angry.  Any advice would be SO appreciated because if I am tired and grumpy, the whole house doesn't function well and it's not fair to my other 2 kids.  HELP!