Parenting Children (6-12) Community
9 yr old won't sleep...scary comments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

9 yr old won't sleep...scary comments

I have a 9 yr old daughter who is VERY bright.  We had sleep issues years ago when I finally got her out of my bed but haven't had a problem until about 6 weeks ago.  "i can't sleep", "my stomach hurts", "i have a headache"...i constantly hear these things, she's hot, she's cold, turn the ceiling fan off/on/up/down, radio on/off etc....If I ignore her, she stands outside my door and keeps going..she is SO persistent.  I have tried rewards, taking away privilidges...I got her a diary & a 'happy thoughts journal' that we do together at bedtime in hopes reflecting on the happy things from that day would calm  her or distract her.  NO luck.  I am exhausted from getting no sleep and my patience is wearing thin.  She has problems when she's at her father's as well so it's not just here at home.  I get the I hate you, you're ugly, the meanest mom ever etc etc. but last night, after doing everything she had asked with still no luck she said 'can you just kill me, i don't want to be alive'...This freaked my out big time and since my fiance was working overnight, I let her sleep in bed with me because I was nervous.  I wonder if it was just a comment and in the end she got what she wanted or if I should really worry.  She told me today that she didn't mean it she just said it because she was angry.  Any advice would be SO appreciated because if I am tired and grumpy, the whole house doesn't function well and it's not fair to my other 2 kids.  HELP!
So sorry to hear about your problem. It sounds like your daughter needs to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist. She seems to be calling out for your attention for reasons that she needs to talk over with a professional -- and any mention of death or suicide in and of itself is is enough to warrant a visit to a professional. Otherwise, I would try tuckering her out with organized sports (Little League, swimming, etc.), running around outside, or some other physical activity to expend all her young energy that will leaver her tired and sleepy at night and not energized to stand at your door and make demands. I might also recommend a low-dose of melatonin (safe hormone naturally produced by the body) supplement taken before bed to make her sleepy and ease her into bed. Best of luck. (Any update?)