Aggressively Defiant 9 year old boy
My 9 year old son is what I would call aggressively defiant. He's a good kid in most ways, but when it comes to doing what he wants, he'll kind of be a bully- simply say he's going to do the thing we (his parents) have told him not to or not do what we told him to (wear a winter jacket, stop playing a video game etc). I'm having difficulty disciplining him. It really seems there's something more to all of this. Maybe he just needs more, severe discipline, but I'm afraid it may do more harm than good. He does well in school, although not a straight "A" student, he holds his own. Getting him to do his homework can be a real trial, he'll always put it off till the last minute which can pose problems for the family...
I could elaborate, but are there any suggestions with this limited information?
Hi:-)  Like you said, I think there is more to the situation.IMO, I think you should sit him down and just talk to him. Make him feel comfortable a=enough to be COMPLETELY honest with him. Sometimes kids think they can't be honest with their parents because they don't want to get into trouble. I don't think this is a situation that is out of control. I think you two can turn it around. Good luck!!!