Anxiety at bedtime and nightmares in a 10 year old
I have a 10 year old son who is and has always been very fearful of going to bed.  He has trouble falling asleep on his own and usually requires someone to stay with him until he falls asleep. Over the past year, he has been waking in the middle of the night on most nights, crying and complaining of having very weird or disturbing dreams.  He is afraid the dreams will never go away. He is active but not hyperactive.  

What should I do?  This is getting worse as he gets older.

I suspect your son is suffering from anxiety (perhaps separation anxiety or generalized anxiety disorder).  Are there any other behaviours which might indicate anxiety issues?

Googling the phrase "childhood anxiety" or "anxiety disorders in children" or similar words and/or phrases should give you more information about this issue.  If anxiety is the issue, your son will not outgrow it nor will it go away.  The first person to see is your son's doctor and ask for advice re this issue.  If the doctor is not comfortable working with children with mental health issues, then request a referral to a specialist in anxiety disorders.  Anxiety is highly treatable and a very common mental health issue.  I wish you the best ....