Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Bottom Problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Bottom Problem

My 7 year old step son keeps picking feces out of his bottom & putting his fingers in his mouth?
Wonderful.  Aren't kids fun.  

I knew a group of little boys who developed a backyard club.  The club rules were posted on the treehouse door.  One of the rules was "No picking butts."

I guess kids do it, but I wouldn't take a philosophical attitude about it if it were my son.  I'd teach him about washing his hands and fecal contamination, and I would also get him on a vitamin and mineral supplement every day, in case he's got a craving for some trace mineral and finds it satisfying to do this for that reason.

Bleah, good luck.
oh brother it just gets better doesnt it, I just chickened out of the post below ...well I agree with Annie some hygiene has to be learnt I think you have to get a bit tough and explain he could get an infection.Does he do this where you can see it then ?