Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Child 9, Refuses to Poop

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Child 9, Refuses to Poop

Last year, he ended up in hospital because his bowel was so compacted with poop.  They found nothing wrong once he was cleaned out.  I watch him like a hawk.  He refused to go and holds it for 1-2 weeks until his stomach hurts. I even give him stool softener daily and fiber daily and still I can't get him to go daily.  His excuse is he is too busy.  What can I do?  Could this be an emotional problem?  I am at my last straw.  I'm ready to do laxatives or enemas daily.  PLEASE HELP!!!!
Sometimes when kids hold their stool like this, liquid stool seeps out around the formed stool. If this is diagnosed as encoparesis, it takes targeted techniques to best achieve a more regular elimination. A pediatric gastroenterologist should be experienced with this and able to treat it, but sometimes a psychologist is added because the holding of stool can have an emotional element. It may be a fear of pain - and it's a vicious cycle. If a bowel movement hurts and then the stool is held in for fear of pain, it then becomes so hard and large it hurts again the next time, reinforcing the fear.

Resolving this for your son is important so he doesn't have repeat episodes of impaction that require hospitalization. Also, it is not healthy for the bowel to be always distended. Elimination counts on the ability of the bowel to contract to push stool along. Think of elastic that has been stretched out so much it loses its elasticity.

Aside from adequate fluid intake and dietary changes, I think it would be safest to work closely with a doctor on this. They may prescribe laxatives or an enema, but there could be specials considerations if a bowel is not in its best condition, so I'd be hesitant to self treat.

Pretty much where I'm at with this issue also. My son can still hold it on large doses of common laxitives and we have almost been to the ER several times from the pain an still refusal to go. That vicious cycle you mentioned is where we're at now. We give him mineral oil to help it along and fiber like he's a rabbit... Gonna need a plan from the doc cause were back to everything not working. Finally some good advice ^ not just people bashing your parenting style