Parenting Children (6-12) Community
How do I discipline my 9 year old who is getting out of control?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How do I discipline my 9 year old who is getting out of control?

My 9 year old son has started changing right before my eyes.  He was diagnosed with ADHD two years ago and has been on Metadate CD.  The medication has been working well for him.  In the last month, his behavior has been changing drastically.  He got into trouble in school for taking a knife(he only wanted to show his best friend how cool it was and he never opened it).  He was suspended for two days for this. During his suspension, he started stealing. He was at his sister's house and took a cell phone and a lighter.  Four days later, he stole toys and money at the babysitters house. We made him return everything and apologize.  He was punished by no TV or games.  Last night, we caught him playing with fire. He had gone into the garage and taken his father's torch and was lighting papers on fire outside.  He has been showing alot of anger lately.  If he doesn't get his own way, he will yell and hit the wall.  He is scaring me and we don't know how to discipline him, nothing seems to make any difference.  Just a little background on him:  He is adopted and he does know this.  He has never expressed any concern about it.  He is also being kept back into 3rd grade due to reading comprehension skills.  We just need help.  We love this little boy so much but just don't know what to do.