Parenting Children (6-12) Community
How much talk of penis size and of touching is typical for a 6 year old...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

How much talk of penis size and of touching is typical for a 6 year old?

I recently overheard my 6 year old son talking to my 8 year old (Autistic) son in the bath.  He was describing a camp friend's penis as smaller than his with 3 bumps on the top.  He then told my 8 year old that his penis can grow very big and said he would show him.  I walked in casually and interrupted and my 6 year old quickly covered up a huge erection.  When I walked out again he resumed the same subject and asked my 8 year old if he wants to touch his (my 6 year old's) penis, and then asked about him touching his bum (buttocks.)  He also offered to help make my 8 year old's penis grow.  I walked back in and stayed in and casually mention that we keep our hands to ourselves in the bath.  I can understand the interest in size but the talk of touching greatly concerned me.  Is this typical at this age?  Should I be concerned?
It may be a good idea to let them bathe seperately, but I think some of this sort of behavior is fairly normal amongst children so dont make too big a deal, just be aware especialy as the 8 year old is Autistic you wre correct in saying he should keep his hands to himself. .
I would want to know about the friend at camp.  Why does he know so much about his  parts?  and the making it big and showing his brother . . .

My boys are 4 and 5 and boys DO talk about size and all but usually very innocently.  

It is most likely nothing---- but the description of the kid at camp's  . . .

I would't bathe them together and I think your 6 year old needs the old talk.  We don't talk about our penis or touch it in front of people.  Period.  

As a child social worker, I can tell you that this is partly normal behavior. Other users are correct, I would have them bathe separately, they are too old to be together at this point.

I might inquire a bit more into the camp incident, as it may be signs of possible abuse from a counselor, but it seems as though this is an isolated case and thus is not the case.

Just the talk alone and monitoring his behavior from now one would be good. Make sure he knows that this talk is wrong, and talk with him about how our body parts are not something we talk about or show to others.
My grandson is twelve and his penis is a good 4.5 inches hanging down. He was sitting the other day and it got erect and was pushing out of his underware. He was attempting to hide it as he is quite shy.
i have a grand daughter came home from her freinds house she is eight years old.she starte to ask question about sex she said her freind showed her vagina an it has hair on it and she said she touch hers, and she thinks her vagina is sexey,where she gets that i dont know and she said she feels wet some times and dont know whats going on with her body,her mother is upset thinks some one is doing some thing to her,i told her kids do things like that an she needs to talk to her without geting mad,she said she likes boys should she like girls to her freind kiss a girl she dont know what to do,she wants to be normal,should i keep her away from her freinds or not,or take her to see some one ,or leave it alon e
I would think you would  realize it is time to stop them bathing together?
Good Grief! And by the way, they are old enough to bath without your being in the room, nothing like encouraging a little modesty here !