Parenting Children (6-12) Community
I need Advice PLEASE!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I need Advice PLEASE!

My son just turned 6 years old in July. He is entering the 1st grade this fall. He is a very bright boy. He was tested in school last year and he is reading 3rd grade level, math at 2nd grade, and is unable to quit talking. He accomplishes all his tasks easily and without distraction most of the time. BUT he talks all the time, about everything approriate and not. He needs to be the center of attention, needs to have the last word, and is a major story teller. Last year in Kindergarten he was in trouble almost daily for interupting and wasting class time. He is 53" tall and 95 pounds. So the biggest in his class, which leads to recess issues as well. He doesn't know his size or strength and therefore would play much rougher than the others. Over the summer we have worked deligently at trying to get him to understand "quiet time- no talking time- not interupting- and playing gentle". However, I think it is worse now. All I can see is constant problems in school this coming year, and I am at my witts end. How do I help him? What else can I do?