Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Inappropriate touching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Inappropriate touching

I frequently notice my 6-year-old son staring at my breasts when he's talking to me. He has occasionally grabbed at my breasts and "accidentally" grazed them. He also barges into the bathroom when I'm taking a shower (but so does my daughter). I have told him touching someone else's private parts is not nice, and that Mommy needs privacy in the bathroom. That has helped a little, but both still happen occasionally. It's creepy and it sends waves of irritability through me. I fear that it's making me push him away both physically and emotionally. I find myself avoiding cuddling with him altogether. I hate feeling this way. Please tell me if this is normal behavior for his age, and how to deal with this — not just with setting limits but with how to deal with this creepy feeling and my own tendencies to push him away. I feel like whatever I do is going to scar him and set him for a life of therapy.
I don't know if this helps but when my son was right at about that age he did some of the same things.  He kept staring at my breasts and it made me uncomfortable.  I know they get curious with private areas at that age, even with other kids.  So I explained to him that girls get boobs when they grow up.  Then I explained that it made me uncomfortable when he kept looking at them and that he should stop.  After this it helped alot.  I noticed he still looked a few times but definetly helped.  He's probably curious at that age about a womens body.  
Thanks. It helps to know it's probably normal. I'll talk with him about it. What you say makes sense... and, hey, if I can talk with him about it now, maybe he won't grow up to be one of those men who do the same thing.