Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Just when we think it's getting better

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Just when we think it's getting better

7 year old wet the bed 3 nights in a row now. we tell her she wont get in trouble and she needs to tell us the truth so we can change her sheets and it won't smell. we tried pullups but that encourages her just to stay in bed. we try and get her up at night. as much as we can but we have a other children and work so we get tired quickly. we take away things if she doesn't tell us the truth and she seems to continue to lie. whether its about peeing the bed or not. I dont know if it has to do with her being stressed out but we cant always go to the laundry matt just to wash her pee sheets. any tips. i am not giving her a alarm clock she shares her room and will share her room with a baby very soon too. She is my step daughter and i know its because her baby mama wet the bed when she was younger. other note, we dont let her drink an hour before bed etc. and we are just getting tired of this....(another note: she is with us full time and mother is around when she feels like it)
Hi there.  It is actually not that uncommon for kids 9 and under to wet at night---  up to 12% do this.  AND, believe it or not, they typically have a parent that did it at least periodically as well.  The important thing is to not shame her.  No child of 7 wants to continue to do this.  The underjams at night do not encourage a child to do this---  she is already NOT waking up at night.  She's not getting the signal to wak when she has to go as this can take some time to become strong enough for some kids.  I'd go ahead and have her wear the pull ups or underjams for a bit longer.  Again, these signals grow stronger.  They also make pads that you can put under her sheet that are waterproof.  

Be patient, she'll get it.  peace
Oh, and kids of that age lie if ashamed, fearing consequence, fear your grave disappointment in her or they aren't sure what to do.  It is actually developmentally normal.  I'd really follow through and never get angry when she does tell you the truth.  She's being self protective rather than 'bad' when she lies in cases like wetting at night and knowing you might be upset about it.  peace and luck
Agree entirely with Specialmom.  Put her in night pants, it is not going to "encourage" her not to try, she is 7 and wants to be dry at night!  There are also big incontinence pads that you can buy in the old-person section of the grocery store, they are flat squares with an absorbent front and a waterproof back, and you put them under her in the bed.  It beats washing sheets!  And this too will go by, in time.  Don't make her feel bad, she is not trying to do this.
well.... it is normal but. my tip is cut the drinking back 1/2 hour more take bathroom break just before bed. also if I read right she shares with sibling now if im right take him/her out of the room she might fell embarrassed about it well my brother is phew he could lie good! hope this helps