Parenting Children (6-12) Community
My 11 year old son cries all the time, what should we do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My son is 11 years old and cries all the time.  For example, if his food order is wrong at a restaurant, he cries.  When I tell him to go to bed, he cries. When asked to do something he does not want to do, he cries. When he does not get the grade he thought he should get, he cries.  If we ask him if he wants to try something new, he cries.  This is not something new he has done this for a long time.  Is he just hyper sensitive?  Is this normal?  Is he depressed or just spoiled?  We have taken him to a play therapy counselor for several months and it has not helped.  We have 2 older boys and they did not go through this at all.  Our home is a peaceful environment, I am a stay at home Mom and his Dad travels but is very connected to our son.  Please advise, I am at the end of my rope!
what does the counselor say? Do they think he is sincerely sad or that it could be for attention?

Sometimes I child has either found no other way to use "his words" and whines, but you did say cry- is it really crying? Like he is absolutely torn up and cannot help it?

If it is whining- you just need to let him know it is not acceptable to whine because it is a poor substitute for communicating with you- and that is what you have to start focusing on- that he uses words- boys and girls learn to this around age 3.

There are some children that use tears to manipulate also. You are the only one that would be able know this.....
It may be that your son is more emotional because he's getting close to the teen years.  We so easily forget how tough those years can be.  Just be there for him.  Put your arm around him, tell him that his body is going through a lot of changes--inside and out-- and it's okay to feel sad, angry or confused.  My oldest has become more emotional as well (he's almost eleven) and I've found that sometimes all he needs is a listening ear and reassurance that his emotions are normal and that it's something everybody goes through.  Try spending more one on one time with him; the stronger the relationship between the two of you, the more confident he will feel.
This is on another site a few days ago