Parenting Children (6-12) Community
My eight year old little girl holds her vagina. Should I be concerned?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My little girl is 8 years old and she sometimes holds herself puts both hands under her clothing. She has been doing this since she was 6 months old. Should I be concerned I don't know how to stop this and her Dr. says she shouldn't get in trouble for this.
Doctor is right to say not to punish the child for this.  It's probably just a comfort habit.  I would tell her as gently as possible that it is not considered appropriate to touch one's private parts when around other people, and that she has to limit that kind of thing to her bedroom.
She may also be holding herself with the need to use the bathroom, I have seen children do this when they want to go and dont like to ask ..Does this happen mostly at school as teachers are often amiss at asking if children want to use the bathroom?
some children find comfort. my son does this since he was 1yr. I used to and i did this from 8 and up its a comfort zone. for me its becuz the waist band on top of my hand makes me feel secure. if that makes sense