Parenting Children (6-12) Community
My moody 10 year old daughter. Help!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My moody 10 year old daughter. Help!!

I have a 10 year old daughter who is extremely bright and makes all a's, is on the honor society and is the top 2 in her school. The problem: over the last year (especially the last 6 months) she has become extremely moody and angry. Anything can set her off. If I dont seem excited enough over an award she receives or I make the wrong thing for dinner  she looses it. I have 2 younger children from my second marriage. Boys are 5 and 3. Some days she will play with them others she cant stand them and is so mean to them. We have been seeing a counselor for the last couple of months but not sure that it is helping quickly enough. When I speak to her teachers they all say she is a great student no problems. I do know the kids really like her (she has a quick sense of humor) but I do notice that if she gets upset at  all at them she will hold a grudge. She is a little over weight and I know sometimes the kids at school have picked on her about that. I try to talk to her about it and sometimes she opens up but others it seems like she just wants me out of her room. She can become very moody very quickly. She can be very happy then gets upset over the smallest of things. And it is hard for her to get out of that. i feel like i am going crazy trying to figure her out. Her father's side of the family does have a history of depression, so that really concerns me. When she is "good" she is an amazing kid to be around but when she is "bad" it is so difficult for everyone. I am wondering is this normal or does she suffer from some kind of mental illness? Please help.
Tags: moody
I think her behavior is normal given the circumstances.   She has gone from being your only child for five years to having two younger siblings that demand much of your time.  She is putting lots of effort into getting good grades and being noticed.   I think she is seeking your attention.   It doesn't mean you are not giving her attention...it is just that she may feel like odd man out in that your attention is now shared with your husband and two young sons.   Also, girls at this age are beginning to have hormonal changes and the sensitivity is normal.   It is great your are seeing a counselor and this may help her talk it out.   She has peer pressure, society pressure to be thin, get good grades...it is a lot for a young girl.  Maybe the two of you could have a regular time together to go have fun and so somthing with just mom and daughter.  Make the time light hearted and just have fun.  I am sure your cup is full and it is stressful to have tension in the house!    I hope things get better for your soon!