Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Normal 8 year old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Normal 8 year old?

My children are with me Friday-Sunday and during the week with their mother and step-father.  I understand that during the week there are many time constraints on all of them; getting ready for school, breakfast, pick-up from daycare/school, doing homework, bath, etc.  As for the weekends it's happy-go-lucky fun with dad, but I always enforce any restrictions that were developed during the week.  
   In the pass six months or so we've noticed a change in behavior with our son.  He doesn't want to do things like go the movies, parks, pool, or even to Seaworld.  He has to constantly be told to do his homework although his overall grades in school are quite good.  He refuses to each meals that he used to enjoy eating based on "God knows why!"  He thinks that his mom is bullying him, but I know she isn't because that's not the kind of person that she is.  When he and I discuss the reasons why we do the things we do for him he tells me that he understands.  His mom thinks that he's depressed and I just think that he is just going through a phase until he starts realizing that going out and playing with friends may change his negative attitude.  Taking away tv, toys, and video games is one thing, but to deny him to play with his friends because of his behavior may have realize that he needs to abide by the rules.  
"Is this all normal?"
What rules is he violating besides having a change of tastes in food,  and not wanting to go to movies,  parks and Seaworld?

I'm not seeing rule violations here.  I'm seeing a child who is going to two different households,  school AND daycare,  and is completely overwhelmed and shutting down.

Plus,  my bet is his step dad IS bullying him.
What can be the hardest for a child , 2 Families all going in differant directions and all thinking they are right ,no wonder the children dont know what they are doing ,how about all you parents get together and discuss it for the good of the child and no one scores points, walk in his shoes.