Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Normal for a child to act like an animal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My 8 year old niece went through a phase acting as if she were a dog.  She is now acting as a cat, putting snacks on a plate, a bowl of water on the floor and eats them as if she were a cat. She'll curl up in the corner and and lay as a cat would.  She also will do things and blame her 6 year old brother even though he was nowhere near what she did; she seems pre-occupied with boys at school; is sassy and also will purposely hurt her brother by scratching him or hitting him.  Her grades are good.  Am I right in suggesting my sister seek counseling for her?  
i have been around a ton of kids that do this
its one of the symptoms of aspergers, but dont fret, this does not mean your child has this condition
there are a ton of asper kids in my parent group and all of them make animal noises
google
aspergers and animal noises
My daughter used to act like an dog over a period of about 2 years. She would sleep on the floor, eat out of dishes on the floor, make animal noises, and play animal games. She is now 17 and perfectly normal. She remembers that pretend time as great fun because I used to act like nothing was abnormal about having a dog daughter. I think that a sense of imagination is a wonderful thing!