Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Self-Doubt/Anxiety in my 6 year old son...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My bright, sensitive six year old son has been experiencing a lot of anxiety lately. At school he picks apart erasers and eats the pieces and was "caught" eating crayons as well. The kids made fun of him and he felt terrible. He feels the need to seek approval often, of teachers and of myself and husband; ie. if the class is reprimanded he gets up and asks the teacher if he was the one making trouble, if he is in trouble and if everything is okay. My son has always been a bit restless, he has a hard time sitting still, gets bored easily in school, but manages to get it under control. He doesn't have many friends and tends to play alone on the playground. He went to a football game with some of the guys from his class and got very upset that no one would give him the ball and then stood around picking his hands and almost sucking his thumb (which he never does). He has a very hard time keeping his hands to himself, always hugging friends and putting his arm around their neck. I feel like any correction I do regarding these behaviors just elevates his anxiety. He told me he has no idea why he does these things. I don't know what to do to improve the behaviors without upsetting him more. I don't know what's "normal behavior" anymore. he has great teachers and we work together, they let him hold a hacky sack in his hands now so that he won't be tempted by erasers. It's just every day, each morning I am confronted by this negative, defeatist attitude from my son. He's too smart for me to smile and say "hey, cheer up!", etc. He tries to figure out everything, every motivation, punishment, etc. I'm at my wits end sometimes and get angry, which he takes so much to heart. He's into every detail, so that if i change my mind on something or change a way of doing things he reminds me of the exact day and statement I made about something. Sorry to ramble, but I need advice I suppose. Are these behaviors "normal"? Should I be alarmed? Thanks.
hi, i've left a posting re my 6year old son a few days ago and i guess i'm hoping someone will just reply and give me the magic solution. I'm not sure what "normal" is anymore, i have a 9yr old daughter who has just breezed through school etc so far, know you shouldnt compare but is very difficult not to. We've had a long chat over weekend and i've told him to start taking deep breaths for fear they may be slight panic attacks, maybe its me who's getting the panic attacks but letting your son go to school and having to drive away and worry til school finishes is just soul destroying, he's such a happy go lucky child in his own area and when he goes to other houses, it just seems to be in school he struggles. good luck, let me know if you get any improvement.
Rgds. Teresa (dentee)
Same here...my daughter is doing just fine, very popular (I have to turn down playdates because she is "booked"). Meanwhile, my sensitive son struggles through. I read so many posts of parents with issues that are similar, yet it seems like every other child is doing just fine but mine (in school). I always get compliments from adults about how mature and kind my son is, but when it comes to school, friends and self-talk it is sad to watch the chip on his shoulder growing. Thanks for the post, each day i try and take a deep breath and calmly hope for the best, that all of this will work out and maybe it's just a phase, like when he used to bite me when he was two...hoping.