Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Six Year Old Boy w/Abdominal Pain, Vomiting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My son is a Healthy normal six year old, from sun to dusk he started to throw up, his bms are normal, no fever, nothing. Now the catchy thing is that he has pain, at first I though because of the throwing up, but later he explained to me that he gets it throwing up or not, and continous to keep vomiting. for the last three weeks he just chils on the couch. I have taken him to the Doc, Ped, they tell me it is normal. I really don't think so. He is starting to lose wieght (our son is slim, so you can imagine). I don't want to make him worry, but I don't want him missing out on being himself. I'm not sure what to ask, where to go. Thanks
-3 Comments Post a Comment
take him to a different pediatrition. In addition to any tests they run ask them to run a test for h-pylori
i hope that your son is better. but my son has been nausea and vomitting for over 20 days. it isn't every day but it seems as it is getting more frequent. it started with lower pain in the lower right side of his abdominal area. the pain stopped but the vomitting continued. he throws up just about everything he eats. some days are worse than others. sometimes he can keep much liquids down. he hasn't lost his appetite, bless his heart he is so hungry and tries to eat, but gets sick. i can see his frustration. he is a smaller kid anyway. he is ten years old and now weighs 75 lbs. he has lost about 6-10 lbs. his doctor says he okay and there is nothing wrong. i know better. they have done urine test and say he is okay, and don't worry because he is not dehydrated. it makes me so mad when doctors think they know it all. this doctor, who is new to us, said maybe he is doing it to get attention. i don't know what to do, i think i will try a new doctor, but this is very frustrating. if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. oh by the way his stomach now hurts around his navel and the doctor gave him some prevacid, but i know it is not indigestion.
As a mother myself, I say go with your maternal insticts.  Mom's are usually correct about their child's well being.  Also, my daughter has a very nervous stomache and had acid reflux as a baby, and she has times when she complains of stomache pain around her navel.  She had an upper GI with negative results for GERD, but that doesn't rule it out either.  She did well when she was on Pepsid AC by doctors order.  She did better on this than she did with the Prevacid.  It did help her, but she will occasionally have bouts of stomache pain still, then I modify her diet here at my home,( I have split custody every other week), and it seems to help.  She also, like I said has a nervous stomache, and then I need to talk to her and find out what is bothering her and why and try to help her come up with a solution if she can work it out on her own, or I will talk to teacher or parent or who ever it may be if needed.  

Is your boy having difficulty in school that he is not sharing with you?  You would be surprised at what a child keeps inside.  Talk to him and find out if there is a problem at school, home, with other children?  

I hope this helps, but I strongly suggest that you listen to your inner thoughts, don't ignore those feelings.  Mothers seem to always know their children the best, and know when something is wrong.  

Good luck
All i can say is Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and a Pediatric Gastroenterologist!!! CVS is cycles of vomiting and they dont know why it happens but there are medicines that can treat it! Also Chron's is another possiblity!!!!  
I can understand your frustration my daughter who is 11 has had constant chronic stomach pain since november and she is also vomits all solid food eating and yes she is so hungry and tries to eat only to vomit it up not long after... and much like the others all the urine and blood tests all come back normal ...... have made sure its not stress or something at school (she loves school and when she cannot attend for the vomitting and pain it bothers her to miss out on her friends and clubs she is a part of)

So far I am getting the same answers as all of you and she is doing it for attention or all children have pain she just needs to deal with it as a part of life (hmm last time i checked kids dont have that kind of pain 24/7 or vomit up their food).... someday i wonder what kind of medical doctors we have that dont seem to care that a child can be in so much pain and not keep food down.... they dont want to be bothered and say oh its normal and go away pretty much....

but i will keep going to different doctors and being a pest because i dont believe our children should live with this and its normal.... to bad they dont see how much it affects their normal life..... somewhere out there has to be a doctor to care enough to find the solution.....

Hi!
I totally understand your feelings about your kid. I am in the same agony right now with my 6 yr old son having recurrent abdominal pain and vomiting since last week of October. Had his appendectomy taken out as they confirmed in the CT scan that it was his appendix causing it. So frustrating that his signs and symptoms are back after the surgery. Tests were done and all came back normal afterwards but his problem remains unsolved. I am a nurse and feels so guilty watching my kid suffers. My heart and soul are so torn! Multiple admissions in the ER is not fun at all. My son missing numbers of school days makes the situation worse as well. He will be seen by gastroenterologist this thursday and I hope and pray they will have answers to our questions. I hope sharing this will alleviate the suffering I have within me.