Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Son seeing Dad naked?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Son seeing Dad naked?

Occassionally when I come out of the shower my 7 year old son may be in the bath room sometimes asking me a question, or just in general discussion.  He has recently mentioned to my wife that he thinks a "hairy penus" is ucky!  My wife is quite concerned that my son should not see his Dad naked, and I should take every precaution to make sure he does not see this.  I am not averse to this course of action, but would like to know what a professional opinion is, as my other instinct tells me that this is natural is nothing something that should be "hidden" {nor should it be overtly displayed} because I am his Dad not a stranger, etc., etc..  

I would welcome your advise.

Michael
I'm not a professional but I agree with you.  I dont' think that a big deal should be made of it nor do I think it should be overtly displayed.  So take precaution to keep the door shut but should he catch a glimps anyway, don't freak out.  
I agree with you. But, if he is making mention of how your body looks to him, it is something that you need to be able to discuss with him.
All I know is as a kid I was brought up in a house where everyone covered everything. I grew up afraid of my body and all its changes.
I have 3 kids, 16 boy, 9 boy and 2 girl. The 16 has not seen me naked sonce he was 10-11.... and has never been afraid to talk to me about sex and puberty. My 9 year old still see me naked from time to time and has no fear of his body, and asks me what he needs to. And my 2 year old just loves poking my belly and boobs!! Its harmless and lets them know they will go through changes, when my kids ask about body hair, I tell them, rather than like me.... I got body hair and thought I was dying for a year!!
Keep doing what your doing. Hug ya wife and tell her you dont want im to be a prude!!
If ya hide it, he will hide too!!
I hate to tell you that your son is normal...

OK, your the kids father and he saw you nude and you concern is????. Unlike an adult your son has questions and limited ability to process or understand things...that is why he has a Father, to teach him about so many different things...including his penis.

This is a minor issue for a parent to deal with.  In fact it's not an issue. A child seeing his same sex parent nude is not a big deal. In fact its part of growing up. Boys are curious about what Dad's looks like nude and girls are the same with their mother. We all have to learn about our body and want to know "if I am normal" or what will I look like when I get older. It's better that you teach your son about his body (and penis) than for him to learn on his own and get bad information.  

I recall seeing my Dad naked when I was a young child, teenager and adult. I'm in my 40's now and my Dad and I shared a hotel room  recently and saw each other naked. So what, it's no big deal.  Keep in mind he is going to see other boys and men nude in locker rooms and showers (gyms, during camping trips or summer camp).  Again, its better for him to learn about his body from you and not feel that he is abnormal or different from others.

At a young age his questions are basic and he is curious. Just as he is curious about trains and planes. Give him basic information. Just be honest and answer his question(s) with basic information that he is able to understand at his age. As he grows older you will need to visit with him concerning sex and how to protect himself from STD's, etc.

Good luck with raising your son.