Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Sons attachment to classmate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Sons attachment to classmate

My son will be 6 years old in October and just started kindergarten at a new school.  My son had went to preschool since the age of 3 and knows how to play and make friends with other children.  He is not going to the same school as his preschool classmates.  Since the first day of kindergarten he made a friend and what made it more exciting was that the boy lived a block from our home.  Since then they sometimes walk to school together and play in the playlot while waiting to be escorted into their classrooms.  My problem is that the teacher brought to my attention this past week that my son was having a hard time being separated from the boy in the classroom..  My son would cry because he wanted to be next to the boy.  The teacher said that she wanted to speak to the school social worker because this concerned her and wanted some input on how to handle this.  Is this normal?  Has this happened to anyone else?  Your input would be greatly appreciated.