Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Twelve year old son lies and talks a lot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My son has Always been a big talker, will talk for hours and while it is bothersome his lying is even more so. (I raised him on my own, and I would not come close to calling him spoiled...)  As the years have gone by he has started lying more and more.. I have called him out on his lies in front of others, but it does not seem to phase him. I have revoked certain privileges (i.e. TV, gameboy, WII, etc) but this does nothing to curb his need to lie. He lies about everything and really likes to brag himself and his dad up. The only thing I have come up with over the years is that he is doing this as a result of his father not being a constantly active part of his life.. I have tried to talk to him about his father and have not once dared to shatter his illusions of his father, but still nothing changes. Or maybe it has gotten worse because I have gotten remarried in the last two years but my son seems to love his step-dad... My step son is still adjusting to his parents divorce 3 years ago, and has seen a counselor for manipulation (he tends to try to use one parent against the other to get his way)... So I have no idea if my son is getting worse because of that as well... Advise of any sort is greatly appreciated.