Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Why is my daughter always sad!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Why is my daughter always sad!!!

Dear all,
I am really worried about my 7 year old daughter. She has been feeling really down and emotional lately. She cries almost every day and says that she has headache and stomach ache. I got her checked and the doctor said that she is fine.  Her father does not live with us, but he visits every 2 to 3 months, and we recently agreed on divorce, so for her nothing has changed. He will still be visiting as before, but just separation is now official. I have not told her yet of the latest change, I just thought to wait for the right time and till both of us her father and myself sit with her and talk about it. I just want to mention that she really loves her father, but I have noticed lately that she does not mention his name or ask about his next visit.
Another factor that I thought of is that she might be jealous of her siblings, one older than her and another one younger. I am trying my best to talk to her all the time and show my love to her in different ways, but I still feel that she is no longer the happy child she used to be.
She has seen the counselor at school but she could not tell what was wrong, she only said that she seems to be bored with her life!
Appreciate any feedback or help on this issue.
Sounds like she misses her Dad and could use with seeing him more, once every 2-3 months is not enough, she could also be  feeling left out if the siblings get more attention, make sure she has some one to one time with you. ,she does sound unhappy, focus on her positive side and praise her when you see her doing something right ..and ask Dad to participate in her life more .
Thanks for your reply. The problem that I have given up on trying with her father, that was actually the reason of separation- not a family man at all- i am also trying my best to spend quality time with her, any other recommendations? Any one has been through the same?
This one is way out in left field - but is there any chance she might be bullied at school?  Has her teacher given any opinion about this "bored with her life" comment?  One more point - our granddaughter was diagnosed with depression at six years of age, so depression as a medical condition could be another option although the headache and stomach aches are often signs of anxiousness.  So sorry ....