Parenting Children (6-12) Community
Young children and sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

Young children and sex

Our children sleep in the same room. Boy is 7..Girl is 5... we caught them talking about having sex together. What should we do? For the time being we are having one sleep on the couch and one in the bedroom. We talked to them together and separately about anyone touching them and that it is ok for them to tell us. They both said no one has and they have not touched eachother. I know children are curious but is this normal for children at his age to talk about this? We only have 2 bdrms so that is why they share a room. We are both in shock and don't know what to do or how to handle it. Any advice would be great!
I would say they heard it from somewhere as they are a bit young to talk about it without having heard something, do you know what they watch on TV or see on the PC, do they have any Family member who is older and they may have overheard.
I know they haven't watched anything or heard anything at our home but I can't rule out that it hasn't happened at other places because I'm not with them all the time. I want to trust them not to say or do it again but there's always that chance you know.
Then check out what they do when they arent with you, who are they with when you arent around, it is your responsibility to know as maybe they have seen or heard something, It is not a matter of trust they are very young and need protecting, so try to discover what they do with any othe rFolks they visit.
Masturbating is one thing as iv told a few people on this site
I think a 7yr old and 5yr old talking about having sex together is crossing boundries, you have done the right thing by talking to them seperately and putting the point across its wrong, all you can do now is put them back in the room together, If they are gonna do it.... sorry... but they will, you cant stop it because they will when your not there

I think you followed the right steps
My 6 year old has thoughts about sex or what she thinks sex is. She thinks up sexual encounters that have not happened and she visions kissing boys as well as girls. I have had a talk with her and explained that sex is what two adults do when they are in love, but she won't stop talking about it. Any suggestions?
I think that u should tell ur daughter that sex is nothing to rush into but also explain to her a little bit about it some information could scare her out of the phase also tell her that (genders)have cuties and she's only 6 so good luck!!!!!
I think your reaction was a bit extreme. First of all they probably don;t even know what sex is. A no nonsense talk should be enough, continuing the separation is a tad extreme.
^^ um kids know a lot more than your saying he did the right thing by separating them I believe they should've been spanked or punished in some way too it's not in any way extreme