Parenting Children (6-12) Community
bowel training

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

bowel training

my 5 y/o girl, wont go to potty for bowel movements.she will go for urination, never even bed wets at night.she has been on miralax for constipation for 6 weeks now.she will try to hold bowel movement, if I see the expression on her face, I take her to potty, and she will then do it.however if I am not around she will try to hold and often soil pants.any help will be appreciated.
Tags: bowel
Just a suggestion, to encourage her to continue doing it in a potty.
When she manages a result, praise and reward her for getting rid of that nasty stuff from her inside.

The logical reason this method may work, is because some confused children feel the motions (similar to bleeding) is a part of them and should not come away...Convince her to view it, and believe that the horrible smelly waste, is much better out than in.

Regards UK Ray.
I am no expert, my 6 year old still has BM's in his underwear. It sounds like she is afraid of the pain of the BM. I have restarted bribery as far as potty training since it is more positive than getting angry and upset about it. This is just a suggestion....MM's or some other bite sized candy(preferably chocolate, since it is a natural laxative) give her so many mm's for trying to go poop in the toilet and then when she does the deed in the toilet shower her with praise and let her grab a handful! Good Luck!
Dear Gwen.
I am glad to hear that other parents have trouble with their children pooping in their pants.  I would like to see what the cause is psychogogically.
tracletch