Parenting Children (6-12) Community
cerebral palsy girl sits in wet diaper at school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

I have a 10 y/o cerebral palsy,nonverbal,wheelchair bound girl who has an aide with her at school. Several times she has come home with a very heavy urine filled diaper. I have addressed it with her teacher, but it doesn't seem to have any affect on the aide. I am very concerned with UTI's and skin break down. As a parent do I have any say on requesting a new aide? I'm afraid if the school district doesn't like my suggestions, they will ask us to go else where.

A concerned parent.
I am so sorry to hear this and I agree with you the discomfort of your child sitting in a wet diaper all day is very unpleasant .I would address the issue again with the teacher/principal of the school it is possible a letter from her Doctor may help as she could get a UTI ...What about a word with the aid herself ,is that possible .Good luck I can understand your concern ..Finding somewhere else may be a good option otherwise..
I think the first thing you need to do is find out the procedure for children who wear diapers.  In my school district, none of the staff (includes teacher's aides) have the authority to deal with this issue (and have been directed to "not change" a student" under any circumstances).  It may mean that you might have to go to the school at certain times in the day to deal with issue yourself or hire a person to do this for your daughter.  But, I think the first thing you should do is to find out the procedure directed by your local school board.  Then you will have a better idea of what to do.  Hope this helps ...