Parenting Children (6-12) Community
is the loving enough - 11 old by

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

is the loving enough - 11 old by

Hello, my son is 11 year's old and he is growing up as a normal and happy child, i thing. Me and his dad are living separately, so I live alone with him, but we still have a good relation as a parents and friends. Yesterday I red in a book, that it is important that in the first 6 child's years - the mother should be with the kid closer, to play with it often, to talk with it... and if she doesn't - it will be hard for the boy to teach to love other people later... In the first years of my son's growing up, I had to finish my Master degree education, so I was always in a hurry, traveling between the child and the University. Since yesterday, I am worried, if I made any emotional troubles with my lovely boy?  
Hi there.  Well, the thing about books is that each one represents ONE theory.  

In this day and age, many parents and mothers do indeed work and have busy schedules.  Is it ideal?  No.  But that is the way of the world.  I'm sure when you were with your son, you were very loving with him.  That is what is important.

He's 11, right?  Well, how is he?  Are you two closely bonded?  Do you spend time together?  Is he loving and seems to feel secure?  

Those are all indicators of how he is doing emotionally.  

Try not to worry.  We all do the best we can as parents.  In the end, if he has any troubles when he is an adult, have no fear.  That is what therapy is for.  But you sound loving to me, so I think it will be no different than anyone else, that he will be a work in progress like we all are.  good luck

You have said that your child is a lovely happy boy. You finished your studies because you wanted the best outlook possible for both of you. I am sure you didn't leave him in the street while you were at University.
Listen, I have grandchildren. When my girls were small most married Mums stayed at home because they could while their kids were small. I went back to teaching part-time when my youngest was nearly 3.
We had a choice. These days, in 1 and and 2 parent families, parents have to work to live from day to day. They don't want to and it's pitiful to watch a young mum wave goodbye to her baby (ies) cos she has to go to work.
My younger daughter was on her own with her first baby and I looked after her while her Mum worked her bum off  to get them their own place. That mother and daughter have the closest emotional bond now. Their hearts are entwined.
The other two kids are great too.
You have done nothing wrong, please stop worrying. Just carry on being a loving, caring Mum. Anyway, here's a question: Who looks after the kids while these so-called experts are writing their books?
My mum had to go to work and I've grown up fine. Have a cup of coffee and give that lovely boy a big cuddle - if he'll let you! Take care x