Parenting Children (6-12) Community
masturbation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

masturbation

my son is 10 how does a child know how to masturbate did he see it on tv or something does he already know about sex
Masturbation comes as natural to a child as laughing.  It's something they do very early and something that parents should learn to live with. As they get older it's important not to shame them about the act but to teach them that there are places and times that are not appropriate.  

Your son will continue this practice well into adulthood.  Think about yourself and whether or not you engaged in the same thing.  The majority of people who are honest will admit to masturbating as childs and adults.  

It's genetics.
I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT TV UNLESS HE HAS FREE REIGN OVER ADULT SHOWS AS WELL. BE FORWARD AND EXPLAIN THAT YOU UNDERSTAND HIS FEELINGS REINFORCE THAT NO ONE SHOULD SEE OR TOUCH HIS PRIVATES. DON'T OVERREACT. LIKE THE OTHER MOM SAID HE WILL CONTINUE THIS PRACTICE AND THEY START HAVING NOCTURAL EMISSIONS AROUND 10 OR 11 AND MAY NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. SO TO AVOID AKWARDNESS KNOCK BEFORE ENTERING.
My son is also ten and he just started masturbating too. I had the same concern as you, I though maybe he had seen it somewhere or someone had sexually abused him. I have talked to a few different doctors and pschciatrists, they have all informed me that the behavior is normal. I heard time and time again that children are going through puberty at an earlier age these days too, and masturbation is a part of that. Like shine said, don't overreact, let him know the rules and give him his privacy, and he will be fine. I am personally having a problem with him using entire bottles of expensive lotion and shampoo. Is your son doing this?
my son is fixingto turn 10 in a week and i worry about that also and i have a 6 yr old girl who i worry will see it or something.the school has already taught my son about sex and all which also worried me..i have not seen him in a bathroom or shutting his bedroom door so i am thinking it has not happened yet...and if it does that is daddys talk..
Guys at 10 years of age have been talking with friends and over heard older kids talking. They have most likely experienced an erection while washing their penis. that in it self causes stroking and experimentation. They discover it feels good and they continue experimenting until they discover if they play with their penis long enough they can have a fantastic feel over come them. Once that has happened they are off to the races so to speak. By 10 they also start to have wet dreams and they may or may not wake up after it happens . In any case you all have normal boys that will grow up healthy and strong. With gentle and love care they will know its normal and they will also know when and where they may do it. Good Luck  and God Bless
My son is just turning eleven and he masturbates on the regular and I don't know what to do. I NEED HELP
It's normal I had asked my husband and he told me he started at 10 years old.