Parenting Children (6-12) Community
my 5 3/4 year old shows his penis to his 5 year old female cousin, is ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

my 5 3/4 year old shows his penis to his 5 year old female cousin, is this normal?

My sister and her family were visiting for a day.  While the adults were in one room the kids were playing in another.  My sister went to go check on them and found my 5 year old showing his penis to his female cousin, they were "hiding" under a blanket.  We all had a talk about "privates" and how they need to stay private,it's inappropriate to share that with others.. , should I be concerned?  This happened once before and we had a milder version of the more recent dialogue - apparently that didn't work.  Is this normal behavior for a kindergardener?  He also loves "potty talk", which we try our best to reign in.  Help.
I have no advice to offer but have a similar problem with my son that turned 6 last week. He wants to see everyones butt. We have had several incidents over the last 6 months. Like you we thought talking would work but it didn't. We now watch him much more closely. Please share any good advice you get on the matter and I will do the same. Good luck!!  At least we aren't alone.
Thanks for sharing.  It is good to know we're not alone!
Well, I saw this post and was quickly disturbed by it. Kids will often act on their curiosity. I would find that my son, 4, would be fascinated with his privates, but because we would tell him that is not right and that if he ever did this in front of anyone... he would surely get disciplined. Thank goodness my son is such a good listener. We have never had that problem.

You really have to monitor what they watch and what type of talk they are exposed to. Just seeing a glimpse of something questionable can result in awkward actions.

Seriously? Disturbed Jacintamg>
First of all it is normal. Second of all, that is why we are to supervise them, their curious-that's about it. Love , praise, affection and keeping an eye out ois all that is needed here.A mountain out of a mole hill,