Parenting Children (6-12) Community
my 6yr old can't keep focus--Normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

my 6yr old can't keep focus--Normal?

I have a 6 yr old who can't seem to keep his focus. I have to tell him to do his homework, chores, wash himself, put his shoes on, several times before he can focus enough to complete any given task. It is driving me crazy! There has to be way to get through to him. It has started to bleed over into school. It is rare for him to come home with a "hand stamp", now he seems to have some warning about not being ready or dirupting the calss, or not following directions, and it used to be the other way around. I feel like I am loosing ground. Help!
I guess most 6yo's at some stage have trouble keeping focus, i think it a normal thing to expect, but at the same time they need to learn in the process. perhaps you could make up a card that has all the things he need to do/complete on it, so your not having to always remind him, that way can refer to it so he'll start to understand structure and what comes with it.

Another idea is getting him to tell you what he needs to do. for e.g (son) what do you need to do when you get home? (H/W) and when your finished then what do you need to? (have a bath), that way your putting the responsibility onto him to think ahead.

I'm sure you may already say this to him but remind him about his role at school i.e what do you need to do when the teacher is talking or asks you to stop talking.

There's no harm in being a little tough on him either especially in terms of getting his shoes on, tell him to stop everything his doing and put his shoes on now!
At this time of year, children tend to become "burnt out" from all the structure, learning and discipline required of school activities.  Could your son just be overtired and exhausted from school?  Just a suggestion ....

I pick up my 7y/o daughter from school everyday and we have this drill that after I ask her how school was I would start reminding her about her little chores.. To take a shower, finish half her homework so she's done with it by Tuesday, and read for 30mins to an hour. While we're walking towards the car she would always tell me when she's tired and I can tell whether she's really burnt out.. I observe my daughter especially after she showers and about to do her homework.. I would allow her to have a 30min power nap right before continuing with her homework and reading and it never failed.. When she wakes up she's always really alert and focus.. They do get exhausted and stressed out from school and peers so this 30min power nap has always worked for her to regain her focus.. Hope this helps.. :)