Parenting Children (6-12) Community
my 7 year old son cries all the time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

my 7 year old son cries all the time

How can i stop such a problem that my 7 year old son cries for any reason? when it comes to anything he dislikes, he starts his tantrum, give a type of food he doesnt want for dinner, i dont want him to have soda, n more TV.......anything that concerns rules. he starts crying, s i noticed too that when it comes to fighting with his class mates he gets very sensitive and very defensive and he cries very easily.He is doing verywell at school as a student, but even his teacher told me he is very sensitivem and always scared he had done something wrong.
Please help deal with this problem, as i ve tried soo man ways, which is talking to him and punishing him for crying, Any other suggestions?
If you are absolutely certain that there are no physical or mental issues causing this, then Ignore it.  I know this sounds hard, but its really not.  When he starts in with crying, and you KNOW there is nothing wrong, other than the fact that that he isnt getting his way about something, say "I cannot understand you when you are crying like this so when you are done, come talk to me and I'll explain why you cant have any more pop tonight (or whatever it is that he is upset about), then literally turn around and just walk away from him.  When he comes to you (and he will eventually but you DO have to win this game EVERY time by waiting him out and letting him come to you), explain to him in a no nonsense way, that he cannot have any more pop tonight because he has already had 1 glass (or whatever) and that is all that anyone needs.  Then leave it at that, do not let him argue or cry again, if he does, do the same thing and walk away and ignore the crying until he comes to you again.  The first few times you do this it is going to be a battle of wills between you and him, but as long as you make it clear that you ARE going to win, no matter how many times you have to walk away, he should catch on quickly and the crying over nothing should fade away.  Good luck!

~*~Amy~*~