Parenting Children (6-12) Community
preparing for funeral

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

preparing for funeral

I want to prepare my 6 year old for my uncle's funeral next week but unsure how to go about it.  Recently my son had several nights of tears because he didn't want to die and I don't want to go back to that.  I want to show him that we will also be celebrating my uncle's life and that the gathering is for a party to remember my uncle.  But he is an ultra observant child and I don't want him thinking that when we die you just get shut in a box but unsure how to ease him into understanding what he will see.
When my mom died , my son who was 5 at the time (keep in mind i tell my son the truth about everything, so he is more grown in his mind than 5) either way he was in her life alot to the point they were great friends. I knew what would happen when she died so i had to think of a way of getting the truth through to him without hurting him..I told him all the Great things about heaven, and how all his animals that have died went there, how beautiful it was, everything, and then i told him that my mom may not be awake now as to where we can physically talk to her, but she is always listening even though you cant see her. And to get over why cant she talk back, i told him she does just not with her voice but to our hearts like God does. And i also told him that one day when we decide we want to go live in heaven we will see her again. I do know all children are different and takes all things in different ways, but maybe this approach will help a little. Peace and God Bless