Parenting Children (6-12) Community
six year old slow in copying down from board.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My son has just come to grade one and every day they make them copy down many things from the board but almost every day his teachers write "incomplete work" in his class work copy because he just looks around and is very slow. When he was in Kindergarten he used to have one hour for one subject but now since he is in Ist Grade they have only half an hour class each subject. After one period the next teacher comes and clears the board.
To make him increase his speed i have bought a white board at home and i make him do the same work he did at school. But he is very slow. He just stares on to the board and for just 5 lines about MY SELF I have to really call out to him to again and again and he finished it in one hour.
Otherwise he is a very intelligent child he has lots of questions in class and always the first one to answer any question his teachers ask him but when it comes to copying down from board he frustrates me. He himself confessed it to me today that in one of the subject when he could not complete the work and teacher cleared the board, he was too scared to get it checked by her. I am really worried about him. If anyone has any way to help please.
has he ever complained about his eye sight? not being able to really see everything on the board clearly? otherwise I would just keep up with practicing copying from the board at home. It may take a while to see any results. good luck.
I homeschool, and realize it's not for everyone. We've moved to an area where there is a great school, and my daughter will attend next year.
The homeschool program I am with has a GREAT support system. The first thing I was taught is, a person tends to teach in the technique they tend to learn in. And it's better to teach the child, in the way the child learns in. If I remember right, there's audio, for the childeren who learn by listening. Visual for the children that learn by seeing and kistetic, for those who need hand's on learning. My daughter is more of a visual/kistetic learner, and I have a son who leans to audio/visual. I had thought my daughter was not listening to me a lot of the times, and it turns out it's not that she's not listening she is able to pay attention if you show her what needs to be done, and not just tell her. As for my son I just tell him something, and it's done. An example with my 7 year old daughter is, if I tell her how to subtract, she does not get it. But If I give her dollar bills, or anything else. and tell her 16-9=? she can tell me. And once she gets that in her head, she no longer needs the visual part, and can do it in the workbook, once it "clicks". There is also an argument that the school system is set up in the way girls learn, and that boys need physical activity to balance out harmones to "level" their body to concentrate. My son is too young for myself to decide if that is true for us or not. I don't know for sure about that, but it may or not may be something to look into. And I am in no way pushing homeschooling, I'm just sharing what has worked for us. Good luck! =)
Thanks a lot for helping me. My son is improving as the days go by and i think practice is the thing which is helping. Though a few times we had to go to a neighbouring kid in the same class as his to copy down some of his stuffs done in class, he is showing improvement and he is getting his work checked by his teacher.

Thanks once again !
Hi, i want to know more about home school as my elder son can not go to school so i wanted to know how to teach him at home with support.