Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
10 year old daughter on adult dating site

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

I recently looked at my 10 year old daughters email account and found out she has signed up on some adult dating sites.  We have had serious talks with her previously, about giving out persoal information.  It seemed to have gone in one ear and out the other.  On the sites she listed her name, age(as 18), town and state we live in.  She has already recieved several messages from men aged 30+.  Some of the messages contain vulgar language and sexual content thats not appropriate for her.   We did look further into the sites and found, in order for her to chat back to the men she has to enter credit card information.  Other then taking away computer rights and tallking with her, what punishment should there be?

Lost mom
Tags: 10 year old daughter, dating sites
I would have a nice sit down with her and call her out on the fact that she is 10 and she represented herself as 18.  I would tell her what could happen to her if she were to meet one of these people.  Clearly if they are using bad language, etc it is not a reputable dating site in the first place.  

Take the computer away and make her delete all of her social accounts.  She needs to learn how to use them correctly and taking them away will teach her that lesson.  When you decide to give it back, it should be used only in a public place in your house such as your kitchen..somewhere it can be monitored.  She should not be able to take it to her room, etc.  Also, all passwords should be known to you and the computer should be checked regularly.  

Girls mature faster than boys and so perhaps you can ask her what she was trying to do when she signed up for that site.  There is a motive behind it and as a parent you need to figure out what it is.  She may have thought it was funny but is now finding out it is wrong.  

Good luck...one of my boys misused the computer as well.  It was a very long time before he got it back.  
Take away her computer, or remove the internet for her.  If you don't, it can be considered abuse on your part.

That's harsh, but true.  She must not be allowed access to those sites at all.  It is damaging to her; the same as if she were being sexually abused.

Then get help as to why she insists on going back.  There must be something wrong for her to want to be doing this.  Speak to a psychologist.
This is a serious issue. She is way to young to even date, let alone talk to these men. You need to step up and block her internet access. Cell phone use. Its for her own sake.
Good for you on checking her email let it be known that as a parent you will continue. We have always talked to daughter about child abduction, we had our child watch the movie Trust with us and had numerous covetsations about it. This might be a good show for you amd your daughter,  it gives them something tangible that is very real to relate to. Good luck ... keep on it!!

Momwithteen
I had been tutoring a nearly 14 year old girl with special needs--her mother hired me to do so. I was with her for a little over 2 1/2 years, but stopped working with her over two months ago. She knew my e-mail addresses as her mother had kept them to communicate with me in case she needed records from when I worked with her daughter or whatever.  I'd had no contact with her or her family since I stopped working with her.  I was shocked to find out that she had used one of my e-mail addresses and somehow gotten a photo off my Facebook account and used it to set up an account at Zoosk.com, with HER name, but my e-mail address and my photo. I was really horrified  and ended up having to delete the account she set up on Zoosk.com, then change my e-mail address and delete those old e-mail accounts. I knew she had problems but this was worse than I suspected.  I did inform her mom, who apologized. However, if she were being monitored closely, this would have never happened.
i relise that everyone here is a parent and that you are all looking at this problem and thinking how to solve it as parents. but let me tell you that it proberly isnt the best way to go about doing things, yeah of course you have to have punishment and you have to show her that it is wrong and that you have athority, but if all you do is shout at her and tell her that she is wrong for doing it, then all shes going to feel is upset, misunderstood and hated.I myself am 13, and i too have done this. although it didnt need such personal details. I dont know why i did this i just thought it would be fun and i wasnt actully going to talk to any of the guys there never mind do anything more.mabey your little girl had the same intensions as me, in that case be understanding and , well , just take a casual approch to the whole thing. I think the only place were you have to be really strict in this situation is about the givin out personal details, but if i were you i would not take her things away , but possibly block all dating sites from you computer.I know you proberly think that im just a stupid little girl who has no idea what im talking bout, but trust me sometimes its good to get an insides veiw and get to know what your kid is actully thinkin while doing all these things, message me if you need anymore help, anyone !
It could have been spam. People steal information from Facebook and other stuff. This has happened to me. I'm 12. Someone took my information from Facebook and My email and signed me up for dating sites. They also stole my pictures. I still have tons of spam. Maybe you should have asked her if it was her. Your probably a big fat ***** who's vagina is **** hungry. God Damn get yourself a vibrator and make yourself *** and go **** yourself you such a bad mom die and **** yourself in hell. I hope the devil makes you scream and moan with his massive **** in your ***** vagina. Big fat ***** dumb was bad bad abusive mom!!!!!
I'm a college graduation.
Things now with younger kids are a lot different than when I was a teen with the modern technology.
To me, teen kids are in a completely different world than us ( the one they created, not entirely real). I wouldn't suggest you to "punish" her, but instead try these:
1. Talk to her about trust, maturity, and relationship with boys.
2. Engage with her and try to find something she really enjoys doing away from the computer. Encourage her to invest her time in those ( hopefully educational ) activities.
3. Try your best not to get very upset at her, it'll only make both you and her more agitated.

Good luck!
I don't wanna make you feel uncomfortable and not at all accusing you of being a bad parent or anything like that.. But do you watch your daughter all the time or is she allowed to spend the night at aunts, uncles, friends house etc ? When I was 7 I was sexually molested by my aunts boyfriend and he did it until I was 10 ( he was around 25 when this was happening ) I finally got my parents to stop taking me there ( I never told anyone because I thought they wouldn't believe me ) but after that when I was 12 I started being very rebellious looking on dating sites, Internet chat sites, talking to older men for some reason I blamed my parents for what happened to me and I was just trying 'to get away' from my life my parents would ground me when they found out but they never knew what happened to me.. So I kept being rebellious maybe you should ask her why she feels that she needs to talk to older men, and why she continues to disobey you  
Nowadays kids are getting more maturity and exposed to such things easily as they are well aware of internet. And a 10 year old daughter signing up for dating website is really a bad sign and she needs to take to some psychologist or sex doctors..

http://escortsoflondon-now.co.uk/