Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
13 y/o son wants to be a vigilante

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

13 y/o son wants to be a vigilante

Help!  At the end of my rope with my 13-year-old son.  Always a lover of super-heroes, he...well, he wants to fight crime.  Like for real.  He is always looking for a bad guy, and would love nothing more than to be responsible for bringing one down.  He has lied about his reasons for wanting such items as body armor, has downloaded a police scanner app to his cell phone, and has texted his friend to assess his interest in being part of his team.  (The friend, his only, is uninterested, so I guess that's good.)  But his texts with said friend indicate that he is sneaking out, or thinking of sneaking out, to seek out and put a stop to criminal activity.  Obviously there are a thousand reasons why this is a horrible idea, but I'd like to address it carefully.  He is definitely the age where he believes he knows everything, and his parents are foolish and unwise.

All advice appreciated.