Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
7th grade son and girl cousin experimenting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

Hi- My 7th grade son and his girl cousin of the same grade have been extremely close since day one. I have watched them over the years and as they get older, the more flirty it seems they have become with each other. The other night they were watching a movie together with another cousin and my son put his hand on her crotch area. I guess it was for a few minutes, totally on top of the pants. My niece went home and broke down crying about it, and then we were told and confronted our son. He cried cried cried, was sorry, didn't know why he did it, and wanted to say he was sorry to his cousin. I am still concerned about this behavior! Where is the control? He has ADHD, and takes meds. but they would of been worn off by then. Do you think this is a normal thing? It was his cousin! We are very concerned. Please give advice!
Perhaps make sure someone is in the same room, and I guess your niece could have removed his hand, Did you have a word with them then as I was wondering why she went home to cry , Maybe the hormones at that age get out of control ,if it really causes a concern make sure they are not alone together.  
Thank you for answering! You ask some of the same questions my husband and I asked. We talked with our son, who was very upset, wanted to say he was sorry right away. Why she didn't get up or remove his hand? Maybe she liked it? My younger son was with them, and if there had been anything like petting going on, he would of seen something, he's in the 5th grade. I think she went home to cry because she thought he would tell and she was afraid?? Don't know. He did call and tell her how sorry he was that night. Now she ignores him, they go to the same school. We used to give her a ride, now her mom takes her. I think things are totally blown out of proportion, but don't want to make light of it. But let's move on and lessons learned! Right?
Yes you hit the nail on the head I think your thoughts were the same as I read into your post and the niece did make an issue for her own reasons,  ,I am sure your son has learned a lesson on appropiate behavior so dont mention it any more and it is good her Mom takes her to school.part of being that age ,