Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
Don't want to be my younger sisters mom.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

I was raised by a single mother.  She was never around always working. At 8 she left for the states (we lived in Mexico). She got married and me and my brother moved to the states when I was 10.  Moving to a total new place not speaking the language was really hard.  I had many problems all throughout school,  kids were mean to me.  I had a horrible childhood.  I am a parent myself now at17 had my first child.  I have 3 kids now.  My mom was not a good mother and that is how it is i have a step sister she is now 12, and she seems like she has a speech problem, she can never talk right, always repeats herself and she always forgets what her point was.  Kids are being mean to her she is crying and I don't know what to do.  my childhood really acared me for life.  I don't want the same thing to happend to her but everytime I talk to my mom about my sisters issues, she just doesn't seem to understand.  I want to get my sister help before its too late, she is so fragile.  I am scared for her.  I know what is like to have such painful things happend to you.  My mom was never a good mom. Not involved with any of my stuff or even her.  What do I do.
My sister is the kind of person that can be hurt so easy.  I don't want to do my moms job how do I make her see, how damaging life can be with out a mom that is there for you?
Wow, what a tough situation. I commend you for wanting to help your sister and for caring so much. You don't know how important that is! She needs someone in her corner. I don't know if you can convince your mom to get her help or not. All you can do is keep trying to talk to your mom about it.
In the meantime, be the best sister you can be. Be there for her. Take her out for ice cream or to the mall and just talk and let her talk. Let her know how much you care and that she can always come talk to you, that you will always be there for her. That is so important. If she knows she has someone to count on that will make things so much easier for her.
I pray for the best for your sister. She's very lucky to have such a kind, caring older sister like you.