Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
Single parent needs help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

Single parent needs help

Good morning, I am a single parent raising 2 teenagers. One of my teeanagers is going through a really tough time right now and suffers from deepression and lots of stress. When I come home sometimes he is very moody and cranky. How can I help my 14 year old learn to deal with stress better?
Hi Beeshaluv.  I have 3 boys - 2 in college and one in high school.

Are you sure it's stress,  and not boredom?  
My daughter is visiting with a family therapist once a week to vent about her life!!! (and deal with a tough breakup with boyfriend)  Best thing we ever did!  "Amanda" really puts things into perspective for her and knows what to watch for if there are other problems!

Please don't be afraid to look into this....no shame in it and takes some of the pressure off of you to know what to do all of the time....I figure, I am blessed with two lovely teenagers, I will do anything in my  power to help them navagate through this life and to come out the best people they can be......best wishes!
could u get him into sports, groups or clubs maybe it would help him to be around kids his own age. or what about a therapist! wish u & ur family the best
I agree with Beeshaluv, I too have a 17 year old in counseling for the same issues and making poor choices. I would recommend it to you as well. These counselors are trained to deal with these types of issues, where as parents we are not.

Also sports, leadership teen activities, church youth programs, volunteering, part-time job (depending on age), mentor, tutoring younger kids. When I was a single-parent, I had my daughter in Big Brother Big sister mentoring program, her mentor would meet with her weekly and that gave her a person to vent to and also helped her with advice etc. Also, I made sorta "paren/teen contract" with her and wrote down an action plan and goals included her and posted in her room so she knew what was expected etc.

I've used all the above and saw a difference with my child after implementing the above in her schdule. I'm also struggling with her bad choices again and have re-imported the above in her life.