Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
Teen refusing to wear clothes that aren't "designer"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

I'm having an extremely difficult time with my 13 yr old son. One of the main issues right now is that he flat out *refuses* to wear the clothes I buy for him unless they are from his latest "favorite" store, which is usually a very expensive store that is outside of our budget. I suspect he throws some of his clothing in the garbage or purposely gets rid of them so that it forces us to have to buy him more clothes. Every so often I can find a really good sale item of the brand of his choosing or maybe find cheaper items at outlet stores but that is rare. He will then wear the few name brand items over and over and over. It's frustrating that I cannot get through to him that we simply cannot afford to dress him in designer clothes all the time. I've tried everything and it's just out of control now.

I don't want my son to wear the same outfit every day for several reasons: one, because I cannot keep up with the laundry so that he always has clean clothes because he does not have enough designer outfits to make it to the next laundry day, so he will not only wear smelly, dirty clothes .. but I'm willing to bet that his classmates will catch on to this and start picking on him for wearing the same clothes all the time. Secondly, I hate that I cannot get the message through to my son that brand names aren't *everything* and he needs to try to be more of an individual instead of trying to be like everyone else. certain brands were just fine up until this year and all of the sudden he won't be caught dead in them. I seriously doubt his friends are checking the tags on his clothes every day to ensure that he's wearing what's "cool".

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)
hello,I use to buy expensive clothes for my kids but they realized what I was saying was true...so tell him this...name brand clothes is just a commercial and he dont want to be a commercial or advertizement..cause he is not getting paid for it...they do..if it has too many designes like big words..and all kinds of print..you can only wear it with so many pieces of clothing cause it very noticable..you can go to casual places if the need comes..girls find it more interesting when a guy is different.not like anyone else..cause all they will say is he brought those designer jeans last week..there not interesting no more..tell him its people who do things differently gets noticed not when their a walking advertizement... hope that helped...
I went through the same thing with my son.  So what I did was took the name brand clothing out when I did laundry and hid them after I washed them forcing him to wear other clothing.  Once he realized there was other clothing to wear he slowly got a peice of the name brand clothing back one at a time and now he wears all of it and I have no problems from him.  I shop at hollister, American Eagle , etc for him because that is what he likes and I can pick up shirts for him for $5 and jeans for 10-15 bucks you just have to watch the sales.  
He wouldn't happen to be a "middle child" would he?  ;D

I think you just go with it.  If you can only afford 3 items of his preferred brand but he has other fashionable items in his closet,  he can do his laundry and spend his birthday money on those horrid tacky threadbare t-shirts from Abercrombie,  Aeropostale,  and American Eagle.  I mean really,  have you ever seen more cheaply made t-shirts?  They're so thin they just look completely worn out.

After my son (who is now in college) went through this he then went on a binge of buying goodwill shirts off the dollar rack.  You'd think that would be a great savings,  but not if you buy hundreds of them.  : (   He was working as a busboy,  and had hundreds (I think we counted over 400) goodwill t-shirts,  all of them very eclectic and clever actually.

Since you're on a budget,  you do what you can.  The more fuss you make over it,  the worse he'll be - just buy what you can easily afford on sales or for gifts,  and show him how to do a small load of laundry.  

He'll grow out of it.  Into something else sort of compulsive.