Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
The Talk - at a Public Health Clinic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

The Talk - at a Public Health Clinic?

I have not been on here in a long time and thought I had parenting all figured out. Not so...

I have this nagging idea of taking my almost 13-year-old son to a public health clinic so he can receive some education on use of condoms, sexual health and planned parenthood. Is this a bad idea? Should I wait until he has had the official school sex-ed next year in Grade 8 and take it from there?
My worry is that by that time our line of communication may not be so well anymore. I had mentioned to him that using condoms is like wearing seat belts, essential to prevent unwanted outcomes. He declared that condoms are only to prevent pregnancies and to add some fun. He is still very child-like in his thinking and development and I do not want to ruin the magic for him - but when is a good age to let our kids in on the harsher realities of sexuality?

I should add that his dad is only in his life a couple of days per year and not a friend of condoms to begin with.
Any thoughts are welcome! Thank you.