Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
Why is my 14 almost 15 yr old son so out of control??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

I dont know whats gotten into my son.  I found out he is smoking pot.  Yeah blame the parents, whatever. I have been a single mom (his dad passed) since he was 6.  I work 3 nights a week (i am a nurse) and i found out he has been sneaking out.  So I put an alarm on the house.  Then he started sneaking out of the house out of his 2 story window! So I put a lock on it.  He broke the lock.  He destroys my house by punching holes in the wall when hes mad or throwing dressers over and laundry baskets everywhere when hes mad or you say "no".  I dont know why hes so angry. People blame me (like my boyfriend) for being to "soft" on him or by spoiling him his whole life.  I say ******** on that.  I cant teach him how to be a man.  He wants to cuss in my face and throw 2 year old tantrums.  He recently ran away for 5 days and nobody knew where he was.  I mean he really dosent have it that bad.  I tell him all he has to do is the right things and he can have anything he wants in the world.  I HAVE taken him to a counceller, twice.  First time he walked out.  Second time he walked out (different counceller) and then proceeded to throw rocks at my car until i came outside.  Then lied about it, even though there were gravels all over my windshield wipers and under my hood.  Hes such a jerk to everyone.  Steals, lies.  Never had a problem with him until he hit high school.  And we live in a really nice area.  Has lots of family support, some family dont want to be around him now.  So I am at my wits end.  He thinks he runs this house and Im sick of it, and Im sick of people blaming my parenting for his behavior.  I dont make him ditch classes or fail classes.  his time is accountable here.  I report him to the school and do NOT excuse his absences.  All they do is give him after school detention, and he will have someone write some excuse for him signed by me so he will not go.  Im sick of it, and now sleep with my bedroom door locked at night.  I have been seeing a family councellor, just to get parenting advice.  Tough love and listening and not button pushing are not working here.  Any advise?  I would really hate to put him in a group home.  but I dont know if thats my last resort so I can work and sleep at night.
sue,  you are in SUCH a  hard spot.  His dad is now dead,  unlike other dads who just dismiss their kids and don't try.

Boys typically don't do well without their dads,  and his dad is gone by no fault of your own.  

I do think you need to ditch your boyfriend who thinks you are "soft" on this distressed child.  

Best wishes.