Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
child bowel incontinence

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

child bowel incontinence

I have a neighbor who's son is in 5th grade and has bowel movements in his pants instead of going to the bathroom. His grandmother took care of him and
when he messed his pants,they threw them away and bought more. his
mother is afraid that when he goes to school, he will be picked on. I am a very
concerned friend and what like medical advice on what the mom should do
for this little boy.
At the very least, she should put the child into some kind of pullups or disposable underwear, they have them for up to 135 lbs., I think.  Then she should talk to his pediatrician and find out what is going on.
Have they considered encopresis?  If the child has a history of constipation,  it sounds like this is a possibility.  

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001570.htm
My son is 12 and has had bowel and urinary incontinence all of his life. It is so very important to seek a medical professional's opinion. The best option would be a GI specialist for children.

We continually took our child to various doctors for advice. We were told it was a behavioral problem. It was not until we chose a pediatric GI and had our son tested, that the true diagnosis was revealed. He has dyssynergia,motility problems, a misalignment of the pelvic bones, and a sensory integration disorder.

The most best thing to remember about incontinence, is the emotional toll it can take on the patient. Most people see it as a problem for the parents/caregivers only. On the contrary, the response from the parents/caregivers can have as big an effect on the patient as the illness itself.