Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
my 12 year old boy is having school trouble

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF A LOW COST TUTOR, OR A WAY FOR US TO IMPROVE HIS GRADES? THANK YOU
Sometimes you can hire a teacher at his school or advertise at your local community college. Lot's of college kids are looking for a little extra money and would be willing to tutor. There's also Sylvan Learning Center but they are kind of expensive.
We used Sylvan for awhile with my daughter. Then a couple of years ago I asked her Pre-Algebra teacher to tutor her once a week in our home over the Summer. I think she charged us $25 for an hour and a half? Something like that. I'd put up a notice at his school that you're looking for a tutor and try the local community college too. Good luck.
First,how low are your son's grades?

Second, are his grades normal for him or have you seen a sudden drop?

Third, are his grades low in every subject or just one or two?
I have a 12 year old boy who is not having a great year either...I think  boys that age that are a bit on the shy side are afraid to ask for help.  I think they are excited about the new challenge for jr high, and aren't that concerned.  It's hard to sit back and watch this, but just ask him what he would like & see what kind of response you'll get...Some kids need repeated instruction and constant daily working on the subject(s) and others can just do it once and "get it".  give him eggs fo breakfast (great brain food)   One other thing, Don't see this as a sign of "bad parenting".  Don't give up on him.
NOTE:  I looked at my 4-year college transcript of when I was in my 20's and my grades were aweful all except for 1 semester when I transferred to a trade-school that I went to every day  and took the same types of classes that I did at my 4-year, and I made a 4.0 and was offered a scholarship to stay there, however, I opted to go back to my 4-year and graduate with a BA...
DON"T GIVE UP...Be his cheerleader...If you have any "inside tips" feel free to send them my way.  Good LUCK.
-Shabritha
Have you tried MathElf? It is a remote tutoring app on the iPad but their tutors are excellent! They are all college educated, expert tutors with 3+ years of experience (according to their website and iTunes page). We participated in their private beta test before it went live to the public and it made all the difference for us. My son likes it because it is on the iPad and he can get help whenever he needs it, even if it is just a quick question. I like it because we don't have to schedule or find someone to come to our house. I also love that we only pay for the time we use! I don't have to buy a subscription or commit to an hour and a half when my son just wants 20 minutes. It is easier for him to sit still in small burst rather than long marathon tutoring sessions. He's in 7th grade...I hear this is normal ;) Anyway, check it out www.mathelf.com. They are in the App Store on the iPad. Just search for MathElf. I think that works.