Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
my 14 year old son is out of control

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

my 14 year old son is out of control

what do i do,i cant seem to take control of my 14 year old son,he is the oldest of my three children,he leaves the house doesnt tell me where he is going or when he will be back,everything is a argument,he is not doing good in school.he climbs out his bedroom window,when i punish him,he gets angry,shouts,screams,leaves the house,what do i do?should I seek medical attention and put him on medication?if so,what whould he be diagonosed with?
I feel for you. I can tell you are at your wits end. Is there a father in the picture or are you a single parent? Did anything big or life changing happen in his life recently? A divorce? Death in the family? A move? Anything you can think of? Is he being bullied at school? Something is obviously bothering him. I do think you need to take him to counseling. Find someone who works with teens and discuss your concerns with them. See what they say whether they think there's an medical problem or not.
See if you can get him to open up, too. Try to talk to him calmly and lovingly, when he's in a good mood. Ask him what might be bothering him. Tell him as much as you love him that it's not ok to be disrespectful to you and to endanger himself. Climbing out his window at night and wandering the streets is dangerous, not to mention who he may be hanging out with. Which leads to another thought. Are you sure he's not experimenting with drugs? If I were you, I'd invest in a drug kit and make him take it. You can buy them at any drug store. Tell him you are concerned about him and that you cannot allow him to continue on this destructive path and that if he persists in this behavior there will be consequences and make them stick. If it gets bad enough you may have to enforce "tough love" and send him to a boot camp for troubled teens. That's a last resort, of course.
My first step would be in finding a good counselor. Start there. Your son needs help and just as important, you need support. Take care & God bless.