son and father holding hands and laying together
Is it inaproatie for a father of age 50 to encourage his sons to lay with us in bed to snuggle at age 18 and 16 and when watching tv he ask the oldest to lay on his shoulder for 45 mins and he rubs his sons hair and they hold hands for that time playing with there thumbs ?This is what we do we they are not home so it makes me think he is getting some weird need met and its not about the kids.
Hi and welcome. To be honest with you i wished i was that close to my father. From a son's point of view i think its very loving. But this is just my opinion on the details you mentioned.
I don't know about getting some "weird need met",  but your boyfriend/husband seems to crave a lot of physical contact.  
I don't think it's weird. I think there needs to be more physical contact and love given to children, by their parents. 18 might be pushing it a bit, but if it's something that he has done since his son was little, it might not be a big deal. It's all about what they have establishecd in their relationship.