Parenting Teens (12-17) Community
teen drinking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting teens (age 12-17), including physical, emotional, and cognitive development, handling peer pressure, activities & sports, choosing a college, and relationships.

teen drinking

Our fifteen year old daughter came home so inebreated that we had to take her to the emergency room. She did not have to have her stomach pumped but they gave her an I.V to counteract the alchohol and watched her for several hours. This is not the first time she has come home drunk. I took pictures of her at the hospital with the I.V and laying on the bathroom floor at home. She was vomiting and unable to walk when we took her to the hospital. My husband had to cary her in to the emergency room. I took the pictures because we were told that because of the drugs she was given she would feel good the next day and would not remember how drunk she really was. We were told that she likely would have asperated on her own vomit during the night and may have died had we not taken her in. When my daughter argued with us about how drunk she was and repeatedly said we were" making too big of a deal" out of it, I showed her the pictures of herself in her intoxicated state. When taking the pictures, a nurse commended me and said I was doing the right thing because she would never remember how bad off she was. My husband got very upset when I took the pictures and later showed her the photos of herself. He said that I was going too far and being mean. I would not have shown her the pictures if she hadn't been in complete denial. I was worried that she would repeat this behavior  and that we might not be there to save her the next time. Was I too cruel?
you did the right thing that's the exact definition of tough love ... she needed that... don't feel guilty because you did the right thing :) you are a good mother
Is your husband someone who forgives drinking to the point that it endangers life?  Why on earth would he say you are being "mean" if you are simply trying to stop her from harming herself again?  Is he someone who pooh-poohs minors drinking?  I can't imagine why he would say what he did unless he was also a hard drinker and immune to worry about it.
I agree that your husband's reaction strikes me as odd.  Taking pictures of her,  and showing them to her later seems like an exceptionally lenient reaction considering what she's done.  

As a mother of teenagers,  I do know they do this kind of thing now and again - but for her to be doing this SO YOUNG and so boldly - to come home to you in this state and try to deny it and act like it's no big deal,  with your husband's support apparently,  this is going to be a very,  very hard road to go down with her.

Had that happened in my county in Texas,  the emergency room personnel would have demanded to know where she got the alcohol,  and that person would be in jail right now.   Don't know how it is in Washington State but apparently the law there is more lax on children nearly dying from alcohol poisoning.  

I'm a very forgiving parent,  and don't punish much,  but I would certainly come down loud and clear on a 15 year old who came home in that state more than once and wasn't ashamed of it.

Best wishes.