Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
11 month old not able to sit up
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

11 month old not able to sit up

Hi.  I have an 11 month old who doesn't know how to sit himself up.  If you sit him up, he can sit on his own without a problem for half an hour or so and will play on his own.  But when he falls, he doesn't know how to sit up on his own.  He can't crawl either and tried putting a pillow on under his chest, mirror image (trying to show him how to crawl).  He rolls over fine but was also delayed doing that.  He does other things - claps his hands, put his arms up if you ask him to, shake his head no, close his eyes and he loves to play catch.  He can throw a ball with either hand or both hands, even throw a ball with his feet.  Yes, with his feet - he's like a little monkey - holds everything with his feet.  :-)  He can stand if you stand him up with support.  

Should I be worried?  Is there anything I can do to help him out?  He tries so hard when on his tummy to get to things but get so frustrated 'cause he can't move.  He does "circle" around on his tummy but same place.  
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
209987_tn?1334790318
Your son should be walking by now, or at least starting to walk.
There is a disease know as muscular dystrophy...my brother has it.
I'm not saying that your son has it, but yes, you should be concerned.
There are different types of muscular dystrophy and they hit at various ages, and affect different body parts.
There are a few things that can be affecting your son's delays, but that is the one that comes to mind.

Keeping fingers crossed.
Blank
I would suggest talking with the doctor before getting yourself worked up about anything it may or may not be!
My daughter didnt sit up for quite a while, didnt crawl until about 8 months, and didnt fully walk til 14months. But the doctors said she was fine and would do it in her own time. I quickly realized this is true and she does EVERYTHING in her own time. She is now 17 months old walking and running, talking (and uses sign) ... and she is just fine!
Dont freak out until you know for sure.
Good Luck!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703