Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
12 month old boy with BAD armpit odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

12 month old boy with BAD armpit odor

I have a 12 month old boy and for a few months now I have noticed an awful musty smell under his armpits as if he an intense workout and sweated the whole time. I dont think this is normal for an infant to have the sweat smell of an adult who went through puberty. At his last checkup I mentioned it to his Doctor and she said to just keep an eye on him and see if he starts to develop pubic hair or facial hair. She said it could be something with his Adrenal Glands. I went home and talked to my family about it and they said thats not right..obviously it isnt normal so there should be some tests to have done to see if there is something wrong. Is the Doctor right and I should just wait to see if it gets to the point where he develops body hair or get a new Doctor? I just dont want to get to that point where I have a 1 year old with a mustache and pubic hair. I wash his armpits and within a few hours he has that smell again. What could be wrong?
Thank You!
Tags: 12 month old, armpit, odor
People of all ages can get yeast infections in their folding parts ie, women get em under breasts, infants can get em under arm pits does he have any whiteishm scalling, the infections do smell,Id wash his armipits  3 times per day with vey gentle soap and water and then apply baby powder to keep pits dry,
No he doesnt have anything under his arms..its completely bare skin.
Hmmm....Im stumped, one of my friends daughter started getting pubic hair and develpoing breasts at age 2, they had to take her to some sort of specialist for hormone therapy..it happens, hope thats not the case with your little guy....does anything else smell like his feet, just trying to put pieces together.
No way I think you should get a second opinion. that doesnt sound normal. Ask another doctor what they think and follow your motherly instinct, if you feel like they should run tests then let them know thats what you want done
It happened to my little sister and I always suspected that it was the hormones in the milk and foods she was fed. I've been a Vegetarian for over 5 years now not drinking or eating any dairy. The only times I ever have to wear deodorant is when I am menstruating. However, I drank a drink that had milk in it last night and this morning noticed the worst stench I've ever smelled coming from my arm pits and my face broke out with small heat bumps. This is how I ended up here, because I was searching to find out if it may have been the milk although I'm already sure that it is... Good Luck
I have a 1yr old and i have the same problems you are have with your son. it doesnt matter if i put baby powder under her arm she still smells. Her doctor told me the same thing your dr. said to you is to watch for pubic hair and breast. the dr. also had bone-age x-rays done on her and the came back advanced meaning her bones are older than she is. It is very scary knowing that something is wrong with your child and feeling helpless and not knowing what to do. Maybe you should try asking your son's dr. to x-ray him. Good luck and I hope I helped. Also, i sprinkle baking soda in her bath and under her arms and it shelp keep the odor down
Get a new doctor and ask for a referral to a specialist. I don't believe this is normal in a child that young.

It could be a sign of a disease. Have you checked to see how the breath smells and what about the feet? Does he have sweaty feet and/or hands? What about a sweaty and smelly head?

Make sure you keep a record to show a specialist all the symptoms and signs so they can know what to test for.
I believe the specialist is called an Endocronoligist but I do not know how to spell it.

I wouldn't ask for x-rays for your child as the other poster suggested as x-rays are dangerous for children and shouldn't be done without there being no other method of test. An MRI would have been a better choice.                                                                                      
My child has had the same problem since she was 1 as well. She is now five and beginning to get teased at school. She has severe food allergies, so she doesn't consume dairy, eggs, or any nuts. She has seen  the best of the best endocrine doctors in Houston and she does not have any premature puberty in progression. I truly think it is some sort of nutrient deficiency, but I cannot find the answers.

Mrs. Smith
I thought I was alone on this.my daughter is 4years old and has bad BO.I often wonder if it is caused by the BPA that was found in the baby bottles.they say that can cause hormone issues.I worry that this exposure has caused this.don't know what to do.the doctors don't seem to know either!
I have a 3 yr old daughter and I have noticed for sometime that she has a musty odor coming from under her arm pits.  She is very hot natured and has been since she was born,  I thought it was genetics cause her father is very hot natured.  For the past 2 days I have decided to put a little powders under her arms to see if that would help.  She really gets fowel when she plays real hard or is sweating extremely hard.  The poeder that I decided to use is those liquid form powders.  I noticed that when I used it, it did work.  I checked her at the end of the night before I put her in the tub and she still smelled ok.  My only concern is that the powder may break her out.  If any one can tell me the answer or maybe have another solution to this problem please help.  I really don't want to put deoderant under her arms.
I'm a 26 y.o. female and have lived with this problem all my life. I've never been a heavy sweater, just smelly under the arms. My mom said she had to put deodorant on me since before I learned to walk. (And she also said that I was born with a little pubic hair.) My problem with underarm odor is bad year round, especially when I wear sleeveless shirts in the summers. I can only use Dove soap and deodorant because anything else makes the problem worse. At one point I went to a doctor and she prescribed me some pills and a topical solution. The topical solution was too harsh to use daily. It felt like the equivalent of dousing my underarms with alcohol each day. Long story short, the way I deal with the problem is by taking 2 to 3 showers a day and only using dove soap and deodorant. I don't wear sleeveless shirts. I keep baby wipes in my purse so that I can cleanse my underarms when needed. I have simply learned to deal with it and control the problem so that nobody else knows I have the problem unless I tell them.
my son has had smelly arm since he was about 5-6 month,I wash him well under his arms ,he also have very smelly feet. I don't want to put anything on him because he is so young.But i don't want him pick on because of something he can't help.So i out powder with cornstarch on him to help keep hin dry.Feet we make sure they are clean and dry.I have spoke to Dr. about this happening and nothing was said.He bath daily,sometime 2 times a day.Help what can I do?
I noticed my 3 year older daughter getting a musty body odor around the age 18 months. She even has smelly feet. I bathe her every morning and before bedtime. She is now developing pubic hair and underarm hair. Im scared. Help?????
Someone suggested Zinc supplements.  It worked for a couple of other moms.  This may already have been suggested to you but just in case it hasn't, it may be worth some extra research.  Good luck!