Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
18 month not saying words

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

18 month not saying words

My son just turned 18 month but he is not using words, he says dada and he knows that dada refers to his father. I have heard him say or try to say mama but only when he really wants something from me, he says something like go-go when he's running. He understands when we ask him to do something, he has learned a few signs ( but we have to force him to use them). He's an only child. I don't want to have to take him to speech therapy but at the  same time i feel like i am a bad mother. Help?
I'm an SLP...you should start thinking about getting him evaluated. I waited until my son was 21 months old (yes, my son is speech impaired and I'm an SLP) because I just kept holding onto hope that he was start talking at any moment.

He says "dada" and "go-go"...anything else? Does he understand everything that you say? Is he developing normally in all other areas? Did he reach all of his milestones?

I would call your "Early Steps" program and submit your information to set up an evaluation. I only say this because some people have to wait upwards of 3-4 months. If you don't need it anymore when the evaluation date comes, then cancel the appointment. I'm not sure what the various programs are called in each state (what state are you in?), but EVERY state has some sort of program in place.

Things could definitely work themselves out. Don't panic...but I would definitely get the process started. The earlier the intervention, the better the results. My son has Apraxia and Sensory Integration Dysfunction (they go together). Maybe look into this? It's more and more common these days and they have no idea what causes this speech disorder. Google "childhood apraxia of speech" and read about it.

Does he happen to have any food allergies? Allergic to dairy? Does he have very dry skin/eczema? There is a good deal of research being completed on this because there are TONS of speech impaired/Apraxic kids these days with these symptoms. They think that the dairy allergies and gluten/whey allergies are causing the speech delays.

You can private message me if you want to know more or would just like to talk...
I wouldn't want you to delay treatment when in fact he could need some sort of therapy, BUT he could be like my baby girl.  She is only 12 months old, but I feel like she should be saying more than what she does. My 2 1/2 year old was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months, and my baby is just saying the bare minimum of what I've found is considered normal.  I think I know why though: My husband and I play into her little game of making us guess what she wants, then she shakes her head "yes" and "no", and she also has "bite" "this" and "that" down, so she can point and say one word and get what she wants. Do you do that with your son? Maybe if he points and makes a noise, you (being an attentive mother) know what he wants and give it to him?  I don't know what they call this (maybe my baby is just lazy; why do more when you can get by with the bare minimum?)    =)     Anyway, it's just a thought....
Or he could be like my little girl who didn't speak one word until the age of 2 then a couple more at 2 and half by 3 only people who knew her could understand her and 3 and half a lot better but was not too bad when started reception she still mispronounces words even now at the lovely age of 6, she is struggling at school but if anything is wrong they should pick things up, have a word with the health visitor if you are worried, all children are different some take longer than others, my oldest daughter didn't say one word at 18mths but then was speaking in scentences at the age of 2, my oldest my son was the same didn't say a word until he was 2 he just grunted and pointed when he wanted something so i had to stop giving him things he head banged and had a right temper tantrum but he finally started to talk, then my youngest daughter is the total opposite to all of them she can say lots of words, she even says there it is, trys to count, dances, jumps off the ground, climbs she even trys to sing nursery rhymes like round and round the garden and also see saw see saw, bless. I would see how he goes over the next couple of months then take him to gp's. Good luck hope he speaks loads soon. Sharon