Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
18 month old crying all the time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

18 month old crying all the time

My 18 month old cries all the time. Not just whinning. But blood curtiling screams. It is all most as if she is in pain. The thing is is, she has no health issues. I just do not know what to do with her. She is fine as soon as you pick her up... Can someone give me some advice??
I also have an 18 month old who only screams at the top of her lungs when she wants something, needs a diaper change, is hungry, or simply wants me to carry her while im cooking dinner, doing laundry, bills, any bad timed thing. It is a loud scream followed by mama mama mama and tuggin of my clothes. It is just a phase as i see it once i give her the attention it stops.
It's that stage where they understand a lot but can't express their feeling, wants and needs.   USing language is very helpful.  Encourage using body language as well (drink, eat, etc...) Good luck.
Have you tried coming down to the child's level instead of picking them up?  Kneeling down. Talking softly, almost a whisper.  They will stop screaming to be able to hear you.  Then ask them what they want.  

By doing this they get your attention but not exactly how they are used to getting it "picked up, etc".  Tell them that they need to use words to tell you what they want and not yell.  Ask them to leave the room and come back and TELL you what it was  "drink, snack or simply a hug" that they wanted, stand up and go about what it was you were doing.

Hope it helps

crzychick has good points--I do that to my daughter who is 2.5 y/o.

It is a phase.  Mine hasn't quite outgrown it yet--even though she speaks well.  My oldest never did this, and it really makes some days emotional--I feel like I can't understand what she want's/needs.

Just hang in there. It gets easier.  And harder.  But easier....:)

Oh..I also, when I get down on her level--I squish my cheek up next to hers.  It almost always has soggy, hot tears on it.  She usually (not always) begins to get quiet then.  I say shhhhhhh...I love you..what does baby want?  I repeat it over and over again. She likes to be called baby.  I find it is harder for her to scream when my cheek is squished up on hers. Tough on the ears though--when the screams aren't done yet.  Oh well--I'll have a hearing aid one day.

Wow! I'm glad a stumbled across this site. My 18mos daughter has been doing this lately and its absolutely driving me nuts and results in me breaking down and crying once-a-week from the frustration and nonstop screaming. Great tips def try everything!
Thank you this seemed to work a bit.
I am going through the same thing with my 18 month old. I put her down for a nap thinking she will wake up in a better mood but she still wakes up crying and screaming about everything. I tell her to have patients while mine are running thin. I am def going to try all  these tips and I pray that she out grows it fast.
I'm glad I came across this site also! My 18 month old son screams and cries bloody murder every SINGLE time I bring him to the store. He usually pulls at my shirt, so i pick him up to get the embarassment to stop... and then he cries to get back in....and its the whole time. I have no choice but to bring him being a single mom.. and I also have a 5year old daughter who has PDD. So I feel like I'm  headed toward a nervous breakdown... and going deaf. I'm going to try these tips too.. thank u!!