Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
18 month old with Diarrhea for over a month

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Hi I'm new to this community, but have been on medhelp for a little while now.

My question is, Should i take my 18 month old step son to the doc? The whole family had gotten a cold about 10 days ago and we are all over it now, including him. But even before that he has had regular diarrhea for about the last month. My mother in law keeps telling me its normal for a kid his age but I definitely don't remember when helping raise my younger siblings of them having it for such extended times. I've been keeping him well hydrated and he hasnt had a fever or vomiting even when he had the cold. Should i take him to the doc and see if they can figure it out? He hasnt been acting sick or anything like that. But he hasnt had any normal solid like bowel movements in weeks. We havent introduced him to any new foods since it started and I havent been giving him apple juice or pear juice in fear of it making it worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated right now.
well.....is his poop runny, or actual diarrhea? A lot of times you can slow down runny poop by adding more fibery snacks....but there's a huge difference between how to treat runny poop and how to treat chronic diarrhea. chronic diarrhea will happen several times a day (3x or more), and the poop is usually an odd color...can be tinged with mucus. runny poop is normal poop with a watery consistency usually not more than twice, maybe three times a day at most.

if it IS diarrhea you need to take him to the pediatrician and get him tested for a virus....because if it is a virus he'll need treatment to get it cleared up. if it's just runny poop...there are a few fibrous snacks you can offer an 18-year-old to help...5-grain bread is a good one (sold at local delis usually...make sure the seeds are nice and small and he can chew it)...rice is a VERY good one. plain white rice...and for my daughter, we crush up popcorn and give it to her (you have to pick out the hard kernals which makes it tough) and either the rice or the popcorn ALWAYS clears up her diarrhea, but we've been giving her activia yogurt and 5-grain bread regularly as a part of her diet lately and she has had VERY regular, healthy poops whereas she used to have runny ones all the time...she's 21 months now (where DOES the time go?).

anyway sorry if I rambled a bit but you can msg me if you need to...good luck!
It varies usually, most of the time its like regular poop but really runny, to the point of sometimes having to change his clothes, and varies in color, yesterday it was almost black in color and today it was really light and yellowish, and its everytime he has a bowel movement, usually about 3 times a day. No matter what i feed him it doesnt seem to help, We've given him rice and it still persists, my mother in law says its just normal and not worry about it but it shouldnt last this long. I've been keeping him away from most dairy other then yogurt and usually a sippy cup of milk with breakfast (which he loves yogurt and would eat all day if i let him haha) Like today he has been up since 6 and its only 9 and he's already had it twice today. With the combination of my current morning sickness and this happening multiple times a day its really hard for me to change him and its starting to really worry me.

I think i will call his doctor and see what he says and see if he wants to see him
Is your son complaining of stomach pains, or does he have a lot of gas?  Does he drink fruit juice, and eat fruit during the day?  Sometimes too much of a good thing, like mixing fruits and giving too much juice can give kids the messiest diapers/underwear!  

It's not normal for kids to continually have excessive bowel movements.  He eats solid foods so his poop should be consistant (for the most part) and occasionally deal with the messy ones.... yuk.

I'd definately take him to the doc and make sure it's not intestinal issues etc.  

best of luck.